Monday, May 4, 2009

Advocacy Project: Guide to Long-Term Care (LTC) Insurance


Title: Your Guide to Long-Term Care Insurance
Purpose: The purpose for this exercise is to educate you on the long-term care options that are currently offered.  Also as you are reading about the options, the costs, and the benefits, I want you to think about whether you would rather have long-term care be at an affordable national price, or be able to choose your own plan.
Reasoning: I believe long-term health care should be available at an equally affordable price to every U.S. citizen.  From the AARPBulletintoday wrote an article expressing the costs and whether or not it is affordable enough for it to be a realistic option for everyone at this point, without being government funded.  After reading this article it hardly seems fair for the government to not do something when it is denying this right to many people, because of the costs.  Health People 2010 has expressed lowering the rates of people who don't have adequate access to long-term care by 2010, which is great that something is being done about it.  It still isn't enough, because there are so many people without any health care coverage, which means even more don't have long-term care coverage, as it is an added expense.  Although the NCCNHR does express some pro's to companies offering long-term care, it always comes back to the number one con of it being too expensive for many people.  Every site that I have looked at always expresses the trouble of it being too expensive!!!
Instructions:
2. Click on each of the links to learn more about each topic. 
(Especially What are the types of long-term care policies? and What do policies cost?)
3. Comment on what you learned about the topics. What you agreed with or didn't agree with.
4. Tell me your opinion on whether you think long-term care should be a nationwide, affordable policy or if you should be able to set-up your own health care policy.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kaileigh-
    I really liked this website. I didn't realize that Medicare does not cover long-term care. I think that long-term care should be more affordable for the individuals receiving the care. Like the link said, we don't know what kind of shape we'll be in in the future. I really agree with your claim that it should be available to anyone! Great research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaileigh:
    I'm with Christen, I didn't know that Medicare doesn't cover long-term care! I really think it should be available to everyone, good idea for the project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaileigh!
    Your post was really informative! It is too bad that it is too expensive for many people. Good idea on the project for us to learn more!
    I'll let you know what I learned about the topics in the next post!! :)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaileigh

    This is definitely a lot of new information for me! I'll let you know my thoughts in my eye opener! Great find though!

    ReplyDelete