Friday, May 1, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 13 and 14

HEY!!! I can't believe that we only have 1 more week of class left and then it's finals week!!! This semester just flew right by!!  I will miss all of you next semester!! Anyways..on to the last 2 weeks.


Week 13
We started off week 13 by watching a video called "Story of Stuff."  It explained in detail the cycle of all the goods and services.  Also, it brought up many of the social and environmental issues that we are facing today.  One thing that I really liked is how she compared how economy works today and how it worked in the past when material objects weren't the biggest concern.  The example she used, about one year "thick heels" being in and then the next year "skinny heals" being in, put what is going on in our economy into perspective, because it is so true!!

During this week we also got to go to Bagley Nature Center and do a navigation project.  It was a really nice day out, so it was nice to be able to be outside.  We got to learn how to use a compass, which I preciously didn't know how to use.  It was fun to see how good or bad you were at reaching each tape point.

Week 14
On Tuesday we  had a speaker come in, who is currently working for AmeriCorp .  It was really neat to learn what he is doing to help out in the environment.  I also didn't know very much about AmeriCorp, so it was nice to be able to learn something about it.  I thought he was a very good speaker!

Yesterday we did a SUPER fun activity.  We got into our web groups and Dr.V brought in some "junk" items and we had to come up with ideas of what to do with them.  All the groups were really creative during this and it was fun to see what everyone had come up with.  I have to say that our group was pretty funny when it came to this challenge! Great Job Guys!!:) 

Well lets get through this last week and then we can enjoy summer!!:)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kaileigh-
    I really liked your review. I like how they took heels for an example which is completely true. We are in a society that is fixed on materials and junk. I loved our group and enjoyed all the funny things we came up with... very funny.. keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo for summer!!! I seriously can't wait=) But I would have to agree that we had some quality ideas for all the "junk" Dr. V brought in! I also liked the Bagley Nature Walk and was soo happy that it was a nice day! Good Reflection Kaileigh=) Hang in there, only two weeks left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaileigh

    I loved your review! Great Job! I love group one so much, we should all probably just keep blogging after semester is over, to stay in contact ;) kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kaileigh!
    What a colorful review! I felt like you were soo happy while writing this :)
    I enjoyed the Bagley Nature walk with you! Thankfully for yours and NOah's skills, we go through the navigation alive!!
    You had some great ideas for the junk project! So fun!!
    Good job Kail!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete